10 April 2009

What I heard on the radio today

As many of you know my job keeps me in the car a lot. Today I was driving around doing some surveillance of potential sources of dust. I put over 70 miles on my car while driving in a 6 x 5 mile square for 6 hours. Needless to say I drove in a lot of circles. During this time I listen to a lot of radio. I have found that on Friday from 12:00-2:00pm (AZ time) is a radio show called Science Friday. I am not always able to time my inspections and work around the show but today I was able to.
I listened to an interesting group of guests, but 2 of them made me smile. One was an astronaut, Don Pettit, who had just spent 6 months on the space station. During his off time he did "random science experiments" as he talked about them I knew that I had to go find the videos so I have linked my 2 favorites here: http://www.sciencefriday.com/video/
The first one, "Candy Corn in Space", is a candy corn explanation of soap and if you enjoy that one then try down further on the page to the "Time Lapse in Space" video and watch the aurora from space.
The second guest that I enjoyed was an oceanographer, Curtis Ebbesmeyer, who has been studying flotsam, as a hobby. Flotsam is defined as: the part of the wreckage of a ship and its cargo found floating on the water. Since there is a lot of cargo lost to the sea every year he has taken to tracking where it goes (with the help of beach comers everywhere). He has just published a book,
"Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man's Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science". I am looking forward to reading it. For those of you who like to read unusual things this may be for you. I have reserved it at the library so when I get it read I will report back.
Thank you for listening to the ramblings of a nerd.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Wow, Wow. I loved the videos and would love to hear about the book, that sounds like my kind of reading.

    ReplyDelete