06 July 2009

Sunday's Lesson

On Sunday it was my turn to teach the lesson in Relief Society and my topic was "Delight in Service and Good Works"

I posted the following summary on the ward Relief Society page but since it is secured I also wanted to list it on my own blog so to share with others who are not members of my home ward.


Sunday there was a request for quotes used during the lesson to be posted. Most of the lesson was taken from Mary Ellen Smoot’s talk, “We Are Instruments in the Hands of God,” Ensign Jan 2001. There is where she listed 4 thing we can do to be better able to give service in a meaningful way.

“So how do we do it? Amid the pressures of life, how do we become the most effective instruments we can be in the hands of the Lord?


Number 1. Our own conversion must come first.
Number 2. We must wax “strong in the knowledge of the truth”.
Number 3. Service is a key to being an effective instrument.
Number 4. Love must undergird everything we do.

Here is the quote from President Uchtdorf that made an impact on me and I believe many of you as well.

“In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance. Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair; let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to answer those prayers.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Happiness, Your Heritage,” Ensign, Nov 2008.


I pray that each of us can be effective instruments in the Lord's hands and remember to be the answer to other prayers.

1 comment:

  1. You took such a unique approach to this subject, I was truly inspired. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete